Friday, May 9, 2014

The Irony of Timing

This past week, my husband and I set off to bid a final farewell to his mom... a woman I admire and will remember with reverent fondness and joy for the remainder of my life.  I had ordered earlier that week a Shoulder Cozy "kit" from Churchmouse Tea & Yarn and it arrived the night we left.  Realizing I would have eight full hours of uninterrupted knitting time on the flight, I packed it and cast on shortly after take-off.


The pattern promised to be a quick knit, and I had ordered it the week before in preparation for Mother's Day.  As I cast-on the first row of the Cozy for my mom, it was not without understanding that my husband would be without his own for Mother's Day this week.


Were I to describe my husband's mother in one word, it would be "grace".  While I have struggled most my life in my daughter/mother relationship, my husband was blessed with a lifetime of really knowing he was loved by his mother.  A gift I suspect that some might take for granted.  


Gathering with my husband's siblings and surrounding family and friends, I finished the Cozy before the end of our brief trip.  It had made good on its promise to be a quick knit.  Having a small amount of yarn left over, I knitted a small flower to embellish the charming shawl.


There is something special about celebrating the long life of a woman like my mother-in-law.  I am humbled and honored to have been blessed with the experience of calling her family, and the love and grace she gave to others has the affect of rippling through the children she raised, and the families they made.  


I hope my own mother is blessed this weekend with the gift of something made with my own hands and heart. I hope she recognizes the irony of the circumstances over the timeframe of which it was made specifically for her.  Although we haven't enjoyed the kind of carefree relationship my husband enjoyed with his mom... I hope she knows that I love her just the same.


In loving memory of Jane Frances Stafford
January 30, 1916 - April 30, 2014
Well done, Thy good and faithful servant.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful.. The sweater...your words...Mum's legacy... Rest well, Jane...

    ReplyDelete